Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rhubarb Jam


My only exposure to Rhubarb was in my teen years when a nasty Rhubarb Cobbler was served up for dessert.  My father loved it dearly and a look of exquisite pleasure came over his face as he took his first bite.  Oh my, but that stuff put a pucker in my face and I never went near it again. 
I recently learned of a skillet-made Rhubarb Jam served up with biscuits.  Hmmmm. "Well, Flambo!!" I thought, "Let’s give Rhubarb another try." 
Oh, Honey Me, is this jam ever wonderful!!!  Now, Rhubarb is not in season, mind you, and I ended up paying $4.00 alone for the fresh Rhubarb, but it was worth it. I liked this because it was not terribly sweet,  but a touch sweet and sour. 
When I made this jam, I actually used 1 cup of sugar, lost my mind and put in 2 Tbl lemon juice then ended up having to thicken it a little with cornstarch. I altered the recipe in other ways, of course, and the end result was absolutely wonderful. 

rhubarb 001
Rhubarb Jam
*with thanx to Rachel Ray for the base


1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbl lemon juice
4 stalks Rhubarb, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces , about 3 cups-ish or more.
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp vanilla


Add sugar and lemon juice to a skillet, turn on medium heat and stir until dissolved. Add Rhubarb pieces and simmer until very thick, breaking up rhubarb pieces as they soften, about 15 minutes-ish.  Add allspice and vanilla, and mix well. cool. 
Make yourself a batch of biscuits, home made from your Pink and White Checkered cookbook, or your favorite store bought.  Flambo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment