Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Macaroni and Un-cheese

My Family loves Macaroni and Cheese.  Unfortunately, tho, we are allergic to milk products, the degree of which varies from person to person. I read somewhere a suggestion of using Butternut Squash instead of cheese for Macaroni and Cheese. I was up for trying it out, so I got my Flambo on and gave it a whirl.  It was a hit, especially for the ones with the worst allergies.  Buddy wants me to keep this Un-Cheese sauce around so he can put it on his Pizza Bagels (topped with Hormel Turkey Pepperoni, of course).

macaroni and  uncheese 001

Macaroni and Un-Cheese

1 medium sized Butternut Squash
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup milk substitute (I used almond milk)
salt and pepper to taste

1 lb Macaroni cooked and drained
Bread crumbs for topping

Slice squash lengthwise, remove seeds and strings.  Cover with plastic wrap and microwave about 15 minutes. (This softens the squash for easy skin removal) Remove skin, cut into chunks and place in a saucepan. Add about a 2 cups of water and simmer till tender.  Drain and puree till smooth.   Return to saucepan, add milk, margarine, salt and pepper, stirring until margarine is melted and mixture is well blended.

Pour cooked macaroni into a large baking dish. Add squash mixture over top and mix well.  Top with bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.  Scoop with your favorite Pink serving spoon.  Flambo!!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to mention this recipe to a friend with a child that has milk allergies! I am also going to try it out myself, even though we are not allergic to milk. I am always looking for more ways to incorporate veggies into our diet.

    ReplyDelete