Patrick has been learning to cook and seems to have a knack for baking. He is pleased to know it is in the blood, as his ancestors on his father’s side owned a bakery. He was not too proud to wear the flowery apron. (I offered the patriotic one that I was wearing, but he is secure in his masculinity.) Flambo!!
2 cups Self- rising flour
1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco
2/3-1/4 cups Rice milk or Almond milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Measure flour into bowl.
- Cut in Crisco with a pastry blender until mixture resembles course cornmeal.
- Blend in just enough mild with a fork until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently few turns. If dough is too sticky to handle, knead in a little more flour.
- Roll out the dough to roughly 1/2 inch thickness (he goes for less). Cut with a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter or other suitable object. Patrick uses a tall glass.
- Place on a baking sheet or baking stone 1 inch apart.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until gooollllden bwown. Makes 12.