Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Whole Wheat Rolls

When my Katie was little, I found her banging my home made rolls on the table. Yes, Banging!! Then we later found that roll in my husband’s Cowboy boot.  I got the message.  My rolls were terrible and I have never mastered the art of edible dinner rolls.  My rolls qualify as NHL Hockey Pucks.

I have never given up the search tho, for the recipe that even this Queen of the Hockey Puck Roll can’t transform into something horrible!  It was in a coupon flier that came with the Sunday Paper a few weeks ago. I believe it was an advertisement for Fleishman’s Yeast.

Flambo!!   They turn out right every time.

clip_image001

Classic Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 envelopes Fleishman’s RapidRise Yeast (I use 4 1/2 tsp yeast in a jar)
2 Tbl sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk (I use unsweetened Almond Milk)
1/4 cup water
2 Tbl butter or margarine
1 to 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour (I end up using about 1-1/2 cups)

**Combine whole wheat flour, dissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 to 130 degrees). Add flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed on electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.  Ad 1/4 cup all purpose flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed.  Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Cover; let rise 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 equal pieces shape into balls.  Place in greased 8 or 9-inch round pan.*** Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 30 minutes.****

clip_image002

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm.

**I used my Kitchen Aid mixer, using the dough hook, allowing the mixer to knead my dough through the entire process, until smooth and elastic.  Flambo does not knead anything.  *;-.)

***I use a 9-inch square pan.

**** for a real treat, roll them in milk, or spray them with Pam, then dip the tops in, sesame seeds. or poppy seeds, garlic powder with italian herbs…the possibilites are endless.  Make them checkerboard style…

rolls 002

No comments:

Post a Comment