Monday, July 5, 2010

Blueberry Bagels

Wow. This was amazing. I made these because a friend wants me to teach her to make bagels. She wanted to make Blueberry ones. Well, I’ve never made fruity bagels so I figured I’d best try it out first. Not being a big fan of fruity bagels, I made them with an attitude of just testing it out, planning to have my Flambinas eat them. But, these were amazing.  Have I mentioned that?  The texture is different from a store bought, packaged bagel, and I think that made all the difference in the world.  I also used my Vanilla Sugar in the recipe.  Mmmmmmm.  We will make this again. Flambo!

hats and bagels 014

 my directions will be for using a Kitchen Aid mixer. 

Blueberry Bagels

6 1/2-7 1/2 cups unbleached flour
i pkg yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp from the jar)
2 Tbl Vanilla Sugar ( plain sugar will do)
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups warm water
1 Tbl extra light Olive oil
4 oz package dried blueberries

2 Tbl Vanilla Sugar (for later use in boiling stage)
2 greased baking sheets

In a small bowl, proof the yeast with 1 tsp regular sugar and 1/4 cup warm water.

Meanwhile, combine 5 cups flour, Vanilla Sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.  When yeast mixture has bubbled up, add to the mixing bowl along with the remaining 2 cups of water and olive oil. Add blueberries. Add more flour as needed, using a spatula to scrape sides of bowl, to make a dough that is smooth, elastic, and not sticky.  The blueberries should be well combined with the dough.

Remove from mixing bowl, and place in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
hats and bagels 003

Punch down. Cut into 16 pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball until smoothed.
hats and bagels 005
(this ones needs a little more rolling)

Poke a hole in the center of the ball of dough.
hats and bagels 007 
Place on greased baking sheet (I prefer baking stones~still grease them-I use a spray) 
hats and bagels 008 

Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes. They will get puffy.
hats and bagels 009 

After 10 minutes of the rising time have passed, start a large pot of water and 2 TBL Vanilla Sugar to boil (will probably take about 10 minutes to boil)

hats and bagels 011
 
Poach bagels, about 3-4 at a time, for about a minute.  I drop them top down and then turn them over immediately so the bottom can set. Then I turn them top down again for about  30 seconds. Turn and boil bottom down about another 30 seconds. This sets the rising so they will not rise any more while baking.

squash and bagels 007

Remove them from the boiling water (I use a skimmer~it’s like a big spoon with a screen for the dipper. The above foto is of a sundried tomato bagel. You’ll find the link for these in the archives for June 2010 ) and return to greased baking sheet. 

hats and bagels 012 
Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes, until lightly golden brown.  Cool on wire rack

2 comments:

  1. These look and sound amazing Teresa! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made your Macaroni and Un-cheese for Dinner- We loved it! All of the other recipes I have tried called for Nutritional Yeast and I hated them. I even healthified some more and it was still amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete