Friday, July 30, 2010

Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake

I have been searching for a chocolate cake that left me with the desire to make it again, and I have finally found it. 
I came across this Chocolate Coca-Cola cake in a novel I was reading and gave it a try.  I made my own alterations, of course.
The recipe called for 1-1/2 cups of miniature marshmallows, but since I didn’t have minis, I just threw a bunch of big ones in the pot.  I also had to substitute the buttermilk for 1/2 cup almond milk with 1/2 Tbl lemon juice (vinegar will also do) in it-let sit for 5 minutes.  Also the frosting gets poured over the cake while it is still hot. I poured it while it was merely warm and the frosting settles like a fudge. I did pour the frosting while the cake was still hot once --t
he frosting crystalized on the bottom of the pan under the cake and the frosting slid off the top of the cake.  I didn't like, but the next person will. To each his own. Flambo!

chocolate coca-cola cake
If you are looking for low fat-low calorie, this is not it.

Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar

1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt


1 cup Coca-Cola (I use caffeine free as a personal preference)
1/2 cup Canola oil (Extra light olive oil is great, also)
3 Tbl cocoa powder (Hershey dark cocoa powder is great, also)

2 cups mini-marshmallows

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla


Icing
3 Tbl cocoa powder (Hershey dark cocoa powder is great, also)
1/2 cup margarine
6  Tbl Coca-Cola
1-1/2 lb powdered sugar 
1 tsp vanilla


In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. 

In a medium sized saucepan, combine coca-cola, oil (2 sticks of margarine may be substituted) cocoa powder and marshmallows.  Heat and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is well combined. Let cool a few minutes then add to the flour mixture.  

Add buttermilk, eggs, applesauce and vanilla, beat for 2 minutes.  Pour into a greased 13 x 9 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

For frosting:  combine cocoa powder, margarine and coca cola in a saucepan. Heat, stirring frequently until margarine is melted.  Mix with powdered sugar until it makes a thin paste (pourable, I went for a little thicker).  Add vanilla.  The original directions say to drizzle over the cake while it’s still hot from the oven. I pour when the cake is cooler/warm.  I prefer that frosting consistency.
Let cool. Serve and enjoy a square of wonderfulness.  This went fast in our household.

2 comments:

  1. "IF you are looking for low-fat this is not it"
    I love it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok thanks! Now I need Chocolate!! And Happy Birthday Teresa :)

    ReplyDelete