Friday, June 18, 2010

Shepherd’s Pie

When I was in my teens, my, then, Steply-Ugmother made this horrible concoction called Shepherd’s Pie.  I swore I would never eat such a toxic waste muck ever again. =:0~~~~@

Luckily, we can repent of our swearings.  I attribute this recipe to a family I go to church with.  I have not yet sought their permission to mention their names here, so I’ll leave it at that for now.  Their family brought this dish to us in the week after my husband died.

The difference is ~*Taco Meat*~ instead of Toxic Meat.

shepherd's pie and tomatillo 001

In the following recipe, you may substitute a Taco Seasoning packet in place of the tomato sauce, Rotel and spices in the taco meat.

Oven temp is 400

13X9 inch baking dish

Shepherd’s Pie

2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 TBL chopped garlic
1 15-oz-ish can tomato sauce
1 can Rotel (or store brand equivalent)
2 Tbl Chili Powder
1 Tbl Ground Cumin
salt and pepper to taste
a splash or three of Tabasco sauce (opt.)

3 cans cut green beans, drained

2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese (more if you like)

Enough Mashed Potatoes to serve 8 people.  (I just eyeball everything)  Instant potatoes are fine.

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off excess fat.  Add the onion and garlic, cooking till tender.  Add tomato sauce, Rotel and spices.
Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.

Pour Taco meat into the 13x9 inch baking pan.  Layer the drained green beans on top, evenly distribute the cheese and top with the mashed potatoes, spread them evenly. 

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Remove and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. 

Flambo!

No comments:

Post a Comment